‘Tis the Season: Send Us a 1099!

Right after the holidays, small businesses have a lot on their plate – W-2’s and 1099’s are due soon, and so are final quarter self employment tax payments!

Question: Recently, a client asked: “Do I need to send OG+S a 1099 for services?” and because it was such a great question, it naturally became the topic of this week’s blog post – read on for the answer:

Short Answer: Yes, payments over $600 made to an attorney for legal services need to be reported on a 1099-NEC. (See Payments to Attorneys)

Long Answer: Generally, you need to issue 1099’s to entities taxed as partnerships for services (like LLC’s electing standard tax treatment) but do not need to issue 1099’s to Corporations (including S-Corporations). There are exceptions, however (like payments to attorneys for legal services) when a 1099 has to be issued regardless of the legal\tax classification of the organization.

The holidays are over, but the fun [paperwork] is just beginning! Send us a 1099, we can’t wait to get it!

Leave a Comment

DISCLAIMER: The information provided is for general informational purposes only. Posts and other information may not be updated to account for changes in the law and should not be considered tax or legal advice. None of the articles or posts on this website are intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with legal and/or financial advisors for legal and tax advice tailored to your specific circumstances.